WHAT IS IN A NAME?

1 Chronicles 1:19

Eber had two sons. The first was named Peleg (which means “division”), for during his lifetime the people of the world were divided into different language groups. His brother’s name was Joktan.


Genesis 5:29
And he called his name Noah, saying, This [same] shall comfort us concerning our work and toil of our hands, because of the ground which the LORD hath cursed.


Some wonder if there is anything in a name, should I be cautious in the name I bear? Do I mind what people call me? What is my identity?


Of course there are some who were given good names yet they grew and left the good path to carry an identity which negates their name. However I believe parents should leave a good premise. For no matter what the outcome becomes, let the initial be made good.


Do those who bear their name know what their names mean?


It is one thing to bear the name, it is another to be conscious of what the name stands for. If I am called a king, do I act like one, do I act like royalty or like a peasant?


Noah was given a name which meant - "rest or comfort", for they believed he will bring them rest from toiling the earth which the Lord cursed. Eventually he did!


Genesis 8:20-22
Then Noah built an altar to the Lord, and there he sacrificed as burnt offerings the animals and birds that had been approved for that purpose.
And the Lord was pleased with the aroma of the sacrifice and said to himself, “I will never again curse the ground because of the human race, even though everything they think or imagine is bent toward evil from childhood. I will never again destroy all living things.
As long as the earth remains, there will be planting and harvest, cold and heat, summer and winter, day and night.”


If only we understand the power of prophesy in our spoken word, we will be careful. If parents knew the power of their spoken word over their children, they would be careful. For there is that power of God in us to be able to create by His Word. We thus ought to be cautious, for we also create by our words.


Jabez understood this, for he was named sorrow, when he was more honourable than his brethren. He refused to stay there, he sought for change:


1 Chronicles 4:9-10
There was a man named Jabez who was more honorable than any of his brothers. His mother named him Jabez because his birth had been so painful.
He was the one who prayed to the God of Israel, “Oh, that you would bless me and expand my territory! Please be with me in all that I do, and keep me from all trouble and pain!” And God granted him his request.


The name, we who have believed and have been saved bear today is, "children of God". For we have been made co-heirs with the risen Christ. May we not bear strange names and may our fruit show forth the name we bear.


Parents let us do the needful, young ones be careful the name you bear. We must define who we are:


Revelation 2:17
“Anyone with ears to hear must listen to the Spirit and understand what he is saying to the churches. To everyone who is victorious I will give some of the manna that has been hidden away in heaven. And I will give to each one a white stone, and on the stone will be engraved a new name that no one understands except the one who receives it.


May we receive that great name as we enjoy eternity with the Father after a fulfilled time here on earth.


PRAYER
Loving Father, my name is all possible and all powerful in You, may I never live less than this great name I have received from You. Glory to Your name Lord forevermore.


He calls us blessed.


Love
@the watcher.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MAINTAIN A GODLY MARRIAGE

Remember: God is in control.

NEEDLESS BATTLES