REVOLT FOR REVOLT

1 Kings 12:1,3,5,8,13,16

Rehoboam went to Shechem, where all Israel had gathered to make him king.

The leaders of Israel summoned him, and Jeroboam and the whole assembly of Israel went to speak with Rehoboam.

Rehoboam replied, “Give me three days to think this over. Then come back for my answer.” So the people went away.

But Rehoboam rejected the advice of the older men and instead asked the opinion of the young men who had grown up with him and were now his advisers.

But Rehoboam spoke harshly to the people, for he rejected the advice of the older counselors

When all Israel realized that the king had refused to listen to them, they responded, 

“Down with the dynasty of David! 

We have no interest in the son of Jesse. 

Back to your homes, O Israel! 

Look out for your own house, O David!”So the people of Israel returned home.


We learn great lessons from reading through the records of the old testament. We see their mistakes and as scripture says:


1 Corinthians 10:11

These things happened to them as examples for us. They were written down to warn us who live at the end of the age.


First we see the error of Solomon in acquiring so many wives and concubines not just that but they were from foreign lands and practice strange religions. Upon all the wisdom he had they succeeded in taking his heart away from God.


What was the repercussion?


REVOLT begat revolt, rebellion begat rebellion.


You cannot expect to rebel against God and yet enjoy the privileges you had when you were faithful to Him. No. You resign, you lose all the benefits. So the kingdom was already set to be taken away from his lineage. However, because of David, one tribe would remain.


So we can say that Rehoboam was suffering the errors of his father. 


However, let us learn from Rehoboam's mistake. Just as we said in our recent devotionals; "be careful who you keep around you".


Who do you get counsel from concerning:


* your spiritual life

* your marriage

* your family

* your health

* your business

* your career

etc


Rehoboam had a very good counsel from the elders but he rejected it and instead went for the counsel of the young people who grew up with him.


What foolishness! Howbeit, don't we do the same?


You are seeking marriage advice from someone who is not happy in their marriage or who is not even married.


You are seeking spiritual counsel from someone who is not standing yet or someone who doesn't even know God.


You are seeking business advice from someone who cannot keep a business going.


Can we learn from Rehoboam's mistake, he eventually lost the people just as the elders warned.


REVOLT replies REVOLT. If you REVOLT against wisdom then wisdom will REVOLT against you.


Proverbs 1:20,24-31

Wisdom shouts in the streets. 

She cries out in the public square.

“I called you so often, but you wouldn’t come. 

I reached out to you, but you paid no attention.

You ignored my advice and rejected the correction I offered.

So I will laugh when you are in trouble! 

I will mock you when disaster overtakes you—when calamity overtakes you like a storm, when disaster engulfs you like a cyclone, and anguish and distress overwhelm you.

“When they cry for help, I will not answer. 

Though they anxiously search for me, they will not find me.

For they hated knowledge and chose not to fear the lord.

They rejected my advice and paid no attention when I corrected them.

Therefore, they must eat the bitter fruit of living their own way, choking on their own schemes.


Remember that the reward for rejection is condemnation, Christ taught this when He walked on the earth in the flesh.


Matthew 10:33

But everyone who denies me here on earth, I will also deny before my Father in heaven.


Do not revolt against God, walk with good advice.


For me, my greatest counsellor is the Holy Spirit of God. With Him You can never miss.


Help us Good Lord.


PRAYER

Loving Father help me never to revolt or rebel against You, neither concerning any part of my life. Help me Lord to stand strong and be led by Thy Spirit that I may please You in all things. Help me Good Lord. Glory to Your name Lord forevermore.


He calls us blessed.


Love

@the watcher.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MAINTAIN A GODLY MARRIAGE

Remember: God is in control.

NEEDLESS BATTLES