THE LORD'S FESTIVALS

Leviticus 23:1-4

The Lord said to Moses,

“Give the following instructions to the people of Israel. These are the Lord’s appointed festivals, which you are to proclaim as official days for holy assembly.

“You have six days each week for your ordinary work, but the seventh day is a Sabbath day of complete rest, an official day for holy assembly. It is the Lord’s Sabbath day, and it must be observed wherever you live.

“In addition to the Sabbath, these are the Lord’s appointed festivals, the official days for holy assembly that are to be celebrated at their proper times each year.


The Lord told Moses to commanded the people of Israel to keep certain festivals. The question people ask is if it applies to believers too.


Firstly, we must understand that there is nothing wrong in keeping this festivals however, the purpose of the festivals have been fulfilled.


Christ was the fulfilment of the law.


Matthew 5:17-19

“Don’t misunderstand why I have come. I did not come to abolish the law of Moses or the writings of the prophets. No, I came to accomplish their purpose.

I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not even the smallest detail of God’s law will disappear until its purpose is achieved.

So if you ignore the least commandment and teach others to do the same, you will be called the least in the Kingdom of Heaven. But anyone who obeys God’s laws and teaches them will be called great in the Kingdom of Heaven.


So Christ came to fulfill the purpose of the law, thus being in Christ doesn't make you disobedient to the law but fulfilled to a higher law. The next verse says:


Matthew 5:20

“But I warn you—unless your righteousness is better than the righteousness of the teachers of religious law and the Pharisees, you will never enter the Kingdom of Heaven!


Let me explain it as simple as possible:


While you are not obligated to keep days, festivals or to kill rams etc. You definitely cannot commit sins, e.g, fornication, adultery, hatred, malice, etc.


Remember that in the new covenant we became one with God's will and we are partakers of the body and blood of Christ.


Jeremiah 31:33-34

“But this is the new covenant I will make with the people of Israel after those days,” says the Lord. “I will put my instructions deep within them, and I will write them on their hearts. I will be their God, and they will be my people.

And they will not need to teach their neighbors, nor will they need to teach their relatives, saying, ‘You should know the Lord.’ For everyone, from the least to the greatest, will know me already,” says the Lord. “And I will forgive their wickedness, and I will never again remember their sins.”


Christ was the fulfilment of these by the coming of the Holy Spirit.


John 14:26

But when the Father sends the Advocate as my representative—that is, the Holy Spirit—he will teach you everything and will remind you of everything I have told you.


So we have God indwelling in us, thus we celebrate His festivals daily.


Paul explains it clearly:


Colossians 2:16-17

So don’t let anyone condemn you for what you eat or drink, or for not celebrating certain holy days or new moon ceremonies or Sabbaths.

For these rules are only shadows of the reality yet to come. And Christ himself is that reality.


Let us celebrate God today and everyday, living holy lives, pleasing Him in all things while we continue to show love to all.


PRAYER

Dear Heavenly Father I celebrate You today and everyday. Thank You for the gift of Your Son and my consequent sonship. I am victorious in all things and remain Yours forever. 


He calls us blessed.


Love

@the watcher.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MAINTAIN A GODLY MARRIAGE

Remember: God is in control.

NEEDLESS BATTLES