THE PAIN OF DOING WRONG

Luke 17:1

One day Jesus said to his disciples, “There will always be temptations to sin, but what sorrow awaits the person who does the tempting!


It never pays to be on the wrong side of temptations and persecutions, no matter how the world misrepresents it to you. You will always face the consequences.


Genesis 42:17,21-22

So Joseph put them all in prison for three days.

Speaking among themselves, they said, “Clearly we are being punished because of what we did to Joseph long ago. We saw his anguish when he pleaded for his life, but we wouldn’t listen. That’s why we’re in this trouble.”

“Didn’t I tell you not to sin against the boy?” Reuben asked. “But you wouldn’t listen. And now we have to answer for his blood!”


Joseph tested his brothers to see if they had changed their ways. I believe they did the very day they sold him, for scripture records:


Genesis 37:19-21,34-35

“Here comes the dreamer!” they said.

“Come on, let’s kill him and throw him into one of these cisterns. We can tell our father, ‘A wild animal has eaten him.’ Then we’ll see what becomes of his dreams!”

But when Reuben heard of their scheme, he came to Joseph’s rescue. “Let’s not kill him,” he said.

Then Jacob tore his clothes and dressed himself in burlap. He mourned deeply for his son for a long time.

His family all tried to comfort him, but he refused to be comforted. “I will go to my grave mourning for my son,” he would say, and then he would weep.


It is terrible to hold grudges or bitterness against anyone. Joseph's brother's wrong must have been out of foolishness, they always seemed to make rash and immature decisions, remember what they did to Shechem and his community.


However, I believe after they saw the pain and anguish they brought to their father, they did not remain the same.


*Genesis 37:34-35

Then Jacob tore his clothes and dressed himself in burlap. He mourned deeply for his son for a long time.

His family all tried to comfort him, but he refused to be comforted. “I will go to my grave mourning for my son,” he would say, and then he would weep.*


For Judah said:


Genesis 43:8-9

Judah said to his father, “Send the boy with me, and we will be on our way. Otherwise we will all die of starvation—and not only we, but you and our little ones.

I personally guarantee his safety. You may hold me responsible if I don’t bring him back to you. Then let me bear the blame forever.


And when the "chips are down", he  (they) proved that they were changed men:


Genesis 44:33-34

“So please, my lord, let me stay here as a slave instead of the boy, and let the boy return with his brothers.

For how can I return to my father if the boy is not with me? I couldn’t bear to see the anguish this would cause my father!”


I always say that we do not have to learn from our mistakes. We can learn wisdom from the mistakes of those before us and avoid erring.


Remember the reason for the scriptures:


2 Timothy 3:16-17

All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives. It corrects us when we are wrong and teaches us to do what is right.

God uses it to prepare and equip his people to do every good work.


Picture a scenerio where you walk behind two people. The first falls into a pit right ahead, the next person probably does the same. It will be great foolishness to also fall into the same pit.


We learn from those ahead of us!


Let no one deceive you, there is great pain in doing wrong.


Psalms 73:17-19

Then I went into your sanctuary, O God, and I finally understood the destiny of the wicked.

Truly, you put them on a slippery path and send them sliding over the cliff to destruction.

In an instant they are destroyed, completely swept away by terrors.


Never be the one doing wrong.


We will be on God's side.


Psalms 73:28

But as for me, how good it is to be near God! 

I have made the Sovereign Lord my shelter, and I will tell everyone about the wonderful things you do.


Help us Good Lord.


He calls us blessed.


Love

@the watcher

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MAINTAIN A GODLY MARRIAGE

Remember: God is in control.

NEEDLESS BATTLES