MAKE YOUR OWN COMMITMENT

Genesis 28:18,22

The next morning Jacob got up very early. He took the stone he had rested his head against, and he set it upright as a memorial pillar. Then he poured olive oil over it.

And this memorial pillar I have set up will become a place for worshiping God, and I will present to God a tenth of everything he gives me.”


Abraham was called by the Lord, because there were attributes in him that showed faithfulness. He had to make his own commitment to God.


His blessings were transferred to his Son Isaac to be the next in line to carry the covenant of God for His people. However, he had to also make his own commitment.


Genesis 26:2,4-5,24-25

The Lord appeared to Isaac and said, “Do not go down to Egypt, but do as I tell you.

I will cause your descendants to become as numerous as the stars of the sky, and I will give them all these lands. And through your descendants all the nations of the earth will be blessed.

I will do this because Abraham listened to me and obeyed all my requirements, commands, decrees, and instructions.”

where the Lord appeared to him on the night of his arrival. “I am the God of your father, Abraham,” he said. “Do not be afraid, for I am with you and will bless you. I will multiply your descendants, and they will become a great nation. I will do this because of my promise to Abraham, my servant.”

Then Isaac built an altar there and worshiped the lord. He set up his camp at that place, and his servants dug another well.


The covenant mantle was passed on to Jacob, he too had to make his own commitment.


Genesis 28:20-22

Then Jacob made this vow: “If God will indeed be with me and protect me on this journey, and if he will provide me with food and clothing,

and if I return safely to my father’s home, then the lord will certainly be my God.

And this memorial pillar I have set up will become a place for worshiping God, and I will present to God a tenth of everything he gives me.”


I want to believe that it was not everyone whom the Lord called that answered the call or finished the assignment. In an earlier writing I brought our attention to the record that Abraham's Father Terah had already began the journey to Canaan.


Genesis 11:31-32

One day Terah took his son Abram, his daughter-in-law Sarai (his son Abram’s wife), and his grandson Lot (his son Haran’s child) and moved away from Ur of the Chaldeans. He was headed for the land of Canaan, but they stopped at Haran and settled there.

Terah lived for 205 years and died while still in Haran.


It is my personal assumption that Terah may have also been asked to move to Canaan but he couldn't or didn't complete the journey.



The word for today is to remind us that each person must make their own personal commitment. You cannot rely on that which another person made or made on your behalf, you must make your own commitment.


Same in salvation:


Romans 10:9-11

If you openly declare that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

For it is by believing in your heart that you are made right with God, and it is by openly declaring your faith that you are saved.

As the Scriptures tell us, “Anyone who trusts in him will never be disgraced.”


It is a personal commitment, no pope, bishop, priest, pastor or whoever can do it on your behalf. You must make your commitment and live by it.


For even the Heavenly Father Himself said He will no longer expect children to pay for the err of their fathers and vice versa.


Ezekiel 18:19-20

“‘What?’ you ask. ‘Doesn’t the child pay for the parent’s sins?’ No! For if the child does what is just and right and keeps my decrees, that child will surely live.

The person who sins is the one who will die. The child will not be punished for the parent’s sins, and the parent will not be punished for the child’s sins. Righteous people will be rewarded for their own righteous behavior, and wicked people will be punished for their own wickedness.


We must get it right, we must make our own commitment. For we must account for our own lives.


2 Corinthians 5:10

For we must all stand before Christ to be judged. We will each receive whatever we deserve for the good or evil we have done in this earthly body.


The beauty of it all is that we can make a recommitment today, for today is a day of salvation. Yes today.


We can make new commitments and review previous ones as we walk with God in this journey. We have a lot of record in scriptures to help us learn and make wise decisions as we go day after day.


And we should be excited that we have God's Spirit to guide us if we will listen.


We are sure to accomplish this year and move on to greater things in the coming years and decades.


So help us Good Lord.


He calls us blessed.


Love

@the watcher.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MAINTAIN A GODLY MARRIAGE

Remember: God is in control.

NEEDLESS BATTLES