AFTER CHASTISEMENT, FORGIVE

2 Corinthians 2:6-8

Most of you opposed him, and that was punishment enough.

Now, however, it is time to forgive and comfort him. Otherwise he may be overcome by discouragement.

So I urge you now to reaffirm your love for him.


We looked yesterday at Paul's counsel concerning the unrepentant brother, he was to be removed. Remember that it was not just about the person doing wrong or committing a sin but boasting about it and refusing to repent of it.


1 Corinthians 5:2-5

You are so proud of yourselves, but you should be mourning in sorrow and shame. And you should remove this man from your fellowship.

Even though I am not with you in person, I am with you in the Spirit. And as though I were there, I have already passed judgment on this man in the name of the Lord Jesus. You must call a meeting of the church. I will be present with you in spirit, and so will the power of our Lord Jesus.

Then you must throw this man out and hand him over to Satan so that his sinful nature will be destroyed and he himself will be saved on the day the Lord returns.


It really looked hard on him but it was good judgment because as Paul explained:


1 Corinthians 5:6

Your boasting about this is terrible. Don’t you realize that this sin is like a little yeast that spreads through the whole batch of dough?


Yes the evil will spread and become a norm and when another evil arises and you want to chastise it, this one will be referenced, and we will have no moral right to correct, thus, it will no longer be a fellowship but a gang of sinners.


We could as well close church and all disperse into the world to continue in sin!


So it is evidence that they listened to Paul's counsel and took action:


1 Corinthians 5:7

Get rid of the old “yeast” by removing this wicked person from among you. Then you will be like a fresh batch of dough made without yeast, which is what you really are. Christ, our Passover Lamb, has been sacrificed for us.


2 Corinthians 2:6,9

Most of you opposed him, and that was punishment enough.

I wrote to you as I did to test you and see if you would fully comply with my instructions.


However, we see that the brother got the chastisement message and is repentant, now Paul further counsels:


2 Corinthians 2:7,10-11

Now, however, it is time to forgive and comfort him. Otherwise he may be overcome by discouragement.

When you forgive this man, I forgive him, too. And when I forgive whatever needs to be forgiven, I do so with Christ’s authority for your benefit,

so that Satan will not outsmart us. For we are familiar with his evil schemes.


As I said yesterday, it is not about doing wrong, anyone could make a mistake but being unrepentant and boasting about your evils is not healthy for the brethren, as Paul said, it is that old yeasts that infects the whole loaf!


So forgiveness is definitely the nature of God and also for all those who are called by Him. Christ spoke so much on it. Remember Peter asked about this:


Matthew 18:21-22,35

Then Peter came to him and asked, “Lord, how often should I forgive someone who sins against me? Seven times?”

“No, not seven times,” Jesus replied, “but seventy times seven!

.

.

“That’s what my heavenly Father will do to you if you refuse to forgive your brothers and sisters from your heart.”


Forgiveness is not really easy especially when the hurt is so deep - however remember: IT TAKES ONE WHO IS CLOSE TO YOU TO HURT YOU DEEPLY! Selah


The closer the person, the more painful the hurt.


2 Corinthians 2:5

I am not overstating it when I say that the man who caused all the trouble hurt all of you more than he hurt me.


So no repentant sinner should be left unforgiven, for God said:


Ezekiel 33:11

As surely as I live, says the Sovereign Lord, I take no pleasure in the death of wicked people. I only want them to turn from their wicked ways so they can live. Turn! Turn from your wickedness, O people of Israel! Why should you die?


Ezekiel 18:23

“Do you think that I like to see wicked people die? says the Sovereign Lord. Of course not! I want them to turn from their wicked ways and live.


That is why when people blame God for this or that, I do not agree, the problem is our power of choice, this is God's gift to us. However, it makes us accountable for whatever we do.


In summary, forgive that repentant person, it is what God expects from us. Save that soul!


We will not err, may we please God in all that we do.


Help us Good Lord.


He calls us blessed.


Love

@the watcher 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MAINTAIN A GODLY MARRIAGE

Remember: God is in control.

NEEDLESS BATTLES