Over the Edge

Hebrews 6:4-5

For it is impossible to bring back to repentance those who were once enlightened—those who have experienced the good things of heaven and shared in the Holy Spirit,

who have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the power of the age to come—


The desire to experience more from the Lord is good. Many especially from the young believer, (just as many of us did) crave for that extra measure of glory to be so close with the Father, to enjoy the power of the age to come and to receive and understand great mysteries. Yes, growth is inevitable, however when we seek great depth we should also understand that:


Luke 12:48

But someone who does not know, and then does something wrong, will be punished only lightly. When someone has been given much, much will be required in return; and when someone has been entrusted with much, even more will be required.


I remember when this discussion came up during my days as a youth leader, the great desire of the young minds then was to experience great things, to have the one on one with the Heavenly . . .


I remember cautioning them that the fact that the Lord restrained us from too much revelation and power is actually for our good. It is good to grow into it and not just jump into it.


Hebrews 5:14

Solid food is for those who are mature, who through training have the skill to recognize the difference between right and wrong.


I used to use this analogy:


"There are things that Aaron would do wrong and the Lord will overlook, however if Moses does the same he will not be left off the consequences. Why:


Numbers 12:6-8

And the Lord said to them, “Now listen to what I say: 

“If there were prophets among you, 

I, the Lord, would reveal myself in visions. I would speak to them in dreams.

But not with my servant Moses. Of all my house, he is the one I trust.

I speak to him face to face, clearly, and not in riddles! 

He sees the Lord as he is. 

So why were you not afraid to criticize my servant Moses?”


"To whom much is given, much is expected . . ."


So do not feel that you are less privileged because you have not experienced this or that, NO, keep growing, all in due time. That you may not have received may even be for your own good.


Listen! You do not need the spectacular to fulfil your purpose, don't get carried away by the spectacular that you may not miss the divine.


Listen to Paul:


2 Corinthians 12:7

even though I have received such wonderful revelations from God. So to keep me from becoming proud, I was given a thorn in my flesh, a messenger from Satan to torment me and keep me from becoming proud.


That is the key thing, the tendency to become proud and to make the mistake of the fallen one:


Isaiah 14:12-14

“How you are fallen from heaven, O shining star, son of the morning! 

You have been thrown down to the earth, you who destroyed the nations of the world.

For you said to yourself, 

‘I will ascend to heaven and set my throne above God’s stars. 

I will preside on the mountain of the gods far away in the north.

I will climb to the highest heavens and be like the Most High.’


And that is the problem with power, it strips many of humility and they easily get eaten up with pride. Selah


Contrast with the Messiah, Christ Jesus:


Philippians 2:6-8

Though he was God, he did not think of equality with God as something to cling to.

Instead, he gave up his divine privileges; he took the humble position of a slave and was born as a human being. 

When he appeared in human form, he humbled himself in obedience to God and died a criminal’s death on a cross.


Glory to God.


This message is not to encourage mediocrity or to preach stunted or retarded growth, NO, but a caution, that we do not move faster than we ought to that we may not make mistakes.


Is our effort and dedication, just because of what we have seen or experienced? No! It is by faith.


Read through all the scriptures from the Torah to the recordings and letters in the New Testament, everyone who had to deal with God had to prove themselves. It is after they have shown their faithfullness that the Lord now visits them. Selah


So stay faithful, seek the divine more than the spectacular, remember that the glory is of the Lord.


Grow as a function of your grace, don't get sentimental, don't give room for empty pride. Be humble, enjoy your relationship with the Father.


The Lord will help us.


He calls us blessed.


Love

@the watcher

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MAINTAIN A GODLY MARRIAGE

Remember: God is in control.

NEEDLESS BATTLES