THOSE WHO GUIDE US

1 Corinthians 4:15-16
For even if you had ten thousand others to teach you about Christ, you have only one spiritual father. For I became your father in Christ Jesus when I preached the Good News to you.
So I urge you to imitate me.

The issue of using the word "father" to denote our spiritual leaders or teachers brought up criticism because of Christ's admonition in Mathew 23:9-10

Matthew 23:9-10(KJV)
And call no [man] your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven.
Neither be ye called masters: for one is your Master, [even] Christ.

Matthew 23:9-10(NLT)
And don’t address anyone here on earth as ‘Father,’ for only God in heaven is your spiritual Father.
And don’t let anyone call you ‘Teacher,’ for you have only one teacher, the Messiah.

Truly so, we must understand this. We have only one Heavenly Father and only one Master and Teacher Jesus the Christ.

Now does it mean then that it is wrong to have spiritual leaders and teachers who are humans?

From the old testament we see examples of prophets calling their predecessor father, i.e, Elisha to Elijah

2 Kings 2:11-12
As they were walking along and talking, suddenly a chariot of fire appeared, drawn by horses of fire. It drove between the two men, separating them, and Elijah was carried by a whirlwind into heaven.
Elisha saw it and cried out, “My father! My father! I see the chariots and charioteers of Israel!” And as they disappeared from sight, Elisha tore his clothes in distress.

Also we see King Jehoash call Elisha, father:

2 Kings 13:14
When Elisha was in his last illness, King Jehoash of Israel visited him and wept over him. “My father! My father! I see the chariots and charioteers of Israel!” he cried.

What of the disciples, Paul in our verses today called himself father, and acknowledged spiritual fathers and teachers, he actually called Timothy his son:

1 Corinthians 4:15,17
For even if you had ten thousand others to teach you about Christ, you have only one spiritual father. For I became your father in Christ Jesus when I preached the Good News to you.
That’s why I have sent Timothy, my beloved and faithful child in the Lord. He will remind you of how I follow Christ Jesus, just as I teach in all the churches wherever I go.

Now listen carefully to the last part, HOW I FOLLOW CHRIST JESUS.

Does this negate Christ admonishing in Mathew 23:9-10. No, for He said in Christ Jesus. For the moment he is not following Christ he drops out of that role.

1 Corinthians 11:1(KJV)
Be ye followers of me, even as I also [am] of Christ.

1 Corinthians 11:1(NLT)
And you should imitate me, just as I imitate Christ.

For today we have many who want to be called father or teacher and have sacrificed nothing for the kingdom. Paul brought the message of salvation to these people and further more nurtured them as children in the word, prayers and every wise. Those who claim fathers and teachers today, what have they sacrificed?

1 Corinthians 4:9-13
Instead, I sometimes think God has put us apostles on display, like prisoners of war at the end of a victor’s parade, condemned to die. We have become a spectacle to the entire world—to people and angels alike.
Our dedication to Christ makes us look like fools, but you claim to be so wise in Christ! We are weak, but you are so powerful! You are honored, but we are ridiculed.
Even now we go hungry and thirsty, and we don’t have enough clothes to keep warm. We are often beaten and have no home.
We work wearily with our own hands to earn our living. We bless those who curse us. We are patient with those who abuse us.
We appeal gently when evil things are said about us. Yet we are treated like the world’s garbage, like everybody’s trash—right up to the present moment.

Does this relate to any of the so called fathers today?

How many spiritual leaders are accountable today?

1 Corinthians 4:1-2
So look at Apollos and me as mere servants of Christ who have been put in charge of explaining God’s mysteries.
Now, a person who is put in charge as a manager must be faithful.

So those who guide us are managers, so much like caretakers, they can never take the place of the landlord, they are replaceable.

Do we have a right to judge them, no, only the Christ who appointed them can, however you are not bond to anyone, out of Christ:

1 Corinthians 4:5-7
So don’t make judgments about anyone ahead of time—before the Lord returns. For he will bring our darkest secrets to light and will reveal our private motives. Then God will give to each one whatever praise is due.
Dear brothers and sisters, I have used Apollos and myself to illustrate what I’ve been saying. If you pay attention to what I have quoted from the Scriptures, you won’t be proud of one of your leaders at the expense of another.
For what gives you the right to make such a judgment? What do you have that God hasn’t given you? And if everything you have is from God, why boast as though it were not a gift?

So we must always focus on our Heavenly Father and our true Master and Teacher, Christ Jesus. Then we will never miss it and we make things easy for our earthly spiritual leaders and teachers.

And in warning, dear reader, these roles are not mere titles, many who may be highly esteemed as spiritual fathers and teachers in this world may not even be recognized by the Heavenly Father or Christ, be wise!

I always get pricked by this verse:

Matthew 7:22-23 (KJV)
Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Just as Paul taught, it is the Heavenly Father that knows what everyone does in secret and He will judge.

1 Corinthians 4:5(Message)
So don't get ahead of the Master and jump to conclusions with your judgments before all the evidence is in. When he comes, he will bring out in the open and place in evidence all kinds of things we never even dreamed of - inner motives and purposes and prayers. Only then will any one of us get to hear the "Well done!" of God.

Help us good Lord.

The Lord will give us more understanding by His Spirit.

He calls us blessed.

Love
@the watcher.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

MAINTAIN A GODLY MARRIAGE

Remember: God is in control.

NEEDLESS BATTLES