PAYMENT FOR THE GOSPEL

1 Corinthians 9:17-18
If I were doing this on my own initiative, I would deserve payment. But I have no choice, for God has given me this sacred trust.
What then is my pay? It is the opportunity to preach the Good News without charging anyone. That’s why I never demand my rights when I preach the Good News.

The work of the Lord has no price tag attached to it, like a salary when you get employed in the secular world. However those who serve in the house of the Lord are taken care of by those they serve.

Deutronomy 10:9
Wherefore Levi hath no part nor inheritance with his brethren; the LORD [is] his inheritance, according as the LORD thy God promised him.

Joshua 13:33
But unto the tribe of Levi Moses gave not [any] inheritance: the LORD God of Israel [was] their inheritance, as he said unto them.

Thus spiritual leaders should be careful when they want to claim the rights of the levites of old. Most times when we ask for rewards or payments (e.g, in an offer), we forget to read the terms and condition. Truly, the terms and conditions apply. Just like when we claim the blessings we see in scriptures most times we do not go further to read the terms and conditions. (this is the true definition of christian "cherry picking")

Paul expresses in chapter 9 of his letter to the Corinthians, the privileges enjoyed by other preachers:

1 Corinthians 9:9-11
For the law of Moses says, “You must not muzzle an ox to keep it from eating as it treads out the grain.” Was God thinking only about oxen when he said this?
Wasn’t he actually speaking to us? Yes, it was written for us, so that the one who plows and the one who threshes the grain might both expect a share of the harvest.
Since we have planted spiritual seed among you, aren’t we entitled to a harvest of physical food and drink?

We ought to take care of those who minister to us.

Now for those who still doubt that Peter and some other apostles were married and that Mary had other children:

1 Corinthians 9:4-5
Don’t we have the right to live in your homes and share your meals?
Don’t we have the right to bring a believing wife with us as the other apostles and the Lord’s brothers do, and as Peter does?

The early church took care of their ministers, however these ones did not accumulate wealth for themselves or lay treasures on earth. They were like the levites of old.

However, Paul and Barnabas were special:

1 Corinthians 9:6-7
Or is it only Barnabas and I who have to work to support ourselves?
What soldier has to pay his own expenses? What farmer plants a vineyard and doesn’t have the right to eat some of its fruit? What shepherd cares for a flock of sheep and isn’t allowed to drink some of the milk?

They worked and earned to support themselves and also the ministry to an extent.

So when a minister begins to compare themselves with these ones, they should properly understand the sacrifices they made.

Sometimes when I hear people call themselves "man of God", "prophet of God", "apostle" etc. I wonder if they really understand the sacrifices that these roles require.

It is not about the name, but the function. The function should birth the name. For it was while the worked like Christ, that they received the name "christian". Let the mockers be pained by their mockery.

So those who minister ought to be supported by those they minister to:

1 Corinthians 9:13-14
Don’t you realize that those who work in the temple get their meals from the offerings brought to the temple? And those who serve at the altar get a share of the sacrificial offerings.
In the same way, the Lord ordered that those who preach the Good News should be supported by those who benefit from it.

However Paul and Barnabas did not seek these privileges:

1 Corinthians 9:15-18
Yet I have never used any of these rights. And I am not writing this to suggest that I want to start now. In fact, I would rather die than lose my right to boast about preaching without charge.
Yet preaching the Good News is not something I can boast about. I am compelled by God to do it. How terrible for me if I didn’t preach the Good News!
If I were doing this on my own initiative, I would deserve payment. But I have no choice, for God has given me this sacred trust.
What then is my pay? It is the opportunity to preach the Good News without charging anyone. That’s why I never demand my rights when I preach the Good News.

Do we know the sacrifice we have to do to share the gospel of Christ. Do our hearts reach out to those who are still lost or trapped in one religion or another? Or we completely carried away by the riches, pleasure and troubles of these world.

Wake up.

1 Corinthians 9:23-26
I do everything to spread the Good News and share in its blessings.
Don’t you realize that in a race everyone runs, but only one person gets the prize? So run to win!
All athletes are disciplined in their training. They do it to win a prize that will fade away, but we do it for an eternal prize.
So I run with purpose in every step. I am not just shadowboxing.

Do not leave your work undone, do not get carried away.

And when you begin, remember that you are your first ministry. Selah

1 Corinthians 9:27
I discipline my body like an athlete, training it to do what it should. Otherwise, I fear that after preaching to others I myself might be disqualified.

You don't have to be an apostle to fulfil your ministry, we have helpers, ministers and other roles to play for the same purpose. Make sure your place is not vacant.

Are you reading this and you are NOT yet saved? What are you still doing outside? Come to the Heavenly Father today through His Son the only way to Him. Then you can fulfil your purpose.

We win, we are victorious.

Glory to the one who loved us and gave His life for us. He calls us blessed.

Love
@the watcher.

Comments

  1. May the lord continue to strengthen us and always provide for our needs at every point in time

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

MAINTAIN A GODLY MARRIAGE

Remember: God is in control.

NEEDLESS BATTLES