OBEDIENCE (Psalm 81)

Psalms 81:13
Oh, that my people would listen to me! Oh, that Israel would follow me, walking in my paths!

The history of Israel remains the example of Christ's relation to His church today, for we learn not to make the same mistakes that those who were rejected made.

The story begins from their freedom from the hands of the Egyptian taskmasters, for it was while they were there we can say that the nation of Israel was formed. For when they arrived Egypt we saw them as Jacob and his family.

Genesis 46:2-3
During the night God spoke to him in a vision. “Jacob! Jacob!” he called.“Here I am,” Jacob replied.
“I am God, the God of your father,” the voice said. “Do not be afraid to go down to Egypt, for there I will make your family into a great nation.

Psalms 81:1-4
Sing praises to God, our strength.
Sing to the God of Jacob.
Sing! Beat the tambourine. Play the sweet lyre and the harp.
Blow the ram’s horn at new moon, and again at full moon to call a festival!
For this is required by the decrees of Israel; it is a regulation of the God of Jacob.

So the Israel nation we can thus say originated from Egypt. The bible records that a king who did not remember Joseph arose and dealt with the children of Israel.

Seems they also forgot their God, for the people who came out of that land seemed very difficult to convince. They just could not be faithful.

The very thing the Heavenly Father said they shouldn't do was what they decided to do:

Psalms 81:6-10
“Now I will take the load from your shoulders; I will free your hands from their heavy tasks.
You cried to me in trouble, and I saved you; I answered out of the thundercloud and tested your faith when there was no water at Meribah.Interlude
“Listen to me, O my people, while I give you stern warnings. O Israel, if you would only listen to me!
You must never have a foreign god; you must not bow down before a false god.
For it was I, the lord your God, who rescued you from the land of Egypt. Open your mouth wide, and I will fill it with good things.

God had so much in stock for them, for it was through them salvation was to get to the whole world. Did they listen?

Psalms 81:11
“But no, my people wouldn’t listen.  Israel did not want me around.

NO!

So what is the repercussion? What does God do to those who refuse to obey?

Psalms 81:12
So I let them follow their own stubborn desires, living according to their own ideas.

He leaves them to their lust and foolish desires.

What is our own testimony? Are we obedient? Or are we like the rebellious Israel? The consequences are the same:

Carefully read through the next verses:

Romans 1:21-32(NIV)
Yes, they knew God, but they wouldn’t worship him as God or even give him thanks. And they began to think up foolish ideas of what God was like. As a result, their minds became dark and confused.
Claiming to be wise, they instead became utter fools.
And instead of worshiping the glorious, ever-living God, they worshiped idols made to look like mere people and birds and animals and reptiles.
So God abandoned them to do whatever shameful things their hearts desired. As a result, they did vile and degrading things with each other’s bodies.
They traded the truth about God for a lie. So they worshiped and served the things God created instead of the Creator himself, who is worthy of eternal praise! Amen.

Disobedience always leads to punishment, simple!

The opposite for obedience!

Hebrews 5:9
And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him;

Psalms 81:13-14,16(NLT)
Oh, that my people would listen to me! Oh, that Israel would follow me, walking in my paths!
How quickly I would then subdue their enemies! How soon my hands would be upon their foes!
But I would feed you with the finest wheat. I would satisfy you with wild honey from the rock.”

Obedience brings about the blessings. For it is one thing to say you have the Heavenly Father's Spirit in you, it is another to obey. Yes, it is one thing to know the word, it is another to obey.

Romans 2:6
Who will render to every man according to his deeds:

Romans 2:7-8
To them who by patient continuance in well doing seek for glory and honour and immortality, eternal life:
But unto them that are contentious, and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, indignation and wrath,

For many profess to be of Christ yet live as if they belong to something else.

Have we turned to other gods as they did?

For Christ has warned us, giving us one of the greatest contender for our worship:

Matthew 6:24
No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.

MONEY

Yes, we cannot do without money, yet we must not worship money.

1 Timothy 6:10
For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

The are also other contenders, we must not give them room.

We must choose obedience, for it is better than any sacrifice. When you get used to obedience, you keep obeying. However, if you allow compromise, you make yourself more vulnerable.

WHAT CAN TAKE THE HEAVENLY FATHER'S PLACE IN YOUR LIFE?

I see God's Spirit leading us aright again, I see us obeying. We will overcome, we will continually dwell in the Heavenly Father's blessings. Halleluyah.

He calls us blessed.

Love
@the watcher.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

MAINTAIN A GODLY MARRIAGE

Remember: God is in control.

NEEDLESS BATTLES